Sunday, October 10, 2010

Oktoberfest Shenanigans

Ladies and Gentlemen, the wait is now over! After an over extended hiatus, I'm back in the world of blogging, and with a backlog of stories that I need to share. We'll begin this return with details about the Oktoberfest trip to Munich:

Oktoberfest, an annual three week festival, takes place in the Bavarian region of Germany. During these three weeks, it traditionally attracts around six million people from all over the world. I'd tell you the historical significance of this festival, but that would require me to check Wikipedia, and since boredom levels are insurmountable, that's not going to happen. It's mainly known for the copious amounts of beer that is available and is consumed.



Now, most of you know that I don't drink beer, so every time I told someone that I was going to Oktoberfest, they gave me the same perplexed look that we all had when we found out that Justin Timberlake could act. The look said, "Really? You? How?". Having never attended Oktoberfest, or any beer related event really, I convinced myself that I could always just get a glass of wine at a beer tent in Munich. Go ahead, you can laugh. Everyone else already did. Anyway, with a carefully formulated plan that was based solely on naiveté, my friend C and I left for Munich by train. We were to meet up with my BFF Dev, who was already in Munich, and then meet up with J and S, a couple of other friends, who were taking a later train to get there. I spent most of the time sleeping and thinking about what I wanted to eat for dinner. I mean, if I'm not thinking about food at least once a minute, then who am I, really? We finally made it to Munich at around five in the evening, dropped off C's bag at his hotel, and made our way to Dev and my hotel.

Having not seen Dev in over six months, my excitement levels, which each approaching moment, were out of control. In fact, in my excitement, I got us lost on the way there. A genuine mistake, one that anyone would have made, I'm sure. We finally found the hotel, and Dev and I shrieked loud enough to cause the building to shake. There was plenty of incoherent mumbling and a lot of blubbering. C, being a guy, didn't know how to react to this, so he resorted to admiring the dull, white paint on the walls. We caught up on six months of gossip as fast as we could, and then met up with the rest of the boys - J, and S - who, by now, were in Munich.

We all proceeded to have dinner, a whole FIVE HOURS after my initial plan, mind you, but the food was delicious, so I had no complaints. We then made our way to a Beer bar, where, based on my naive plan, I ordered wine. The woman looked at me funny and got me orange juice instead. That's when I realized that my "wine at a beer place" plan was deeply flawed. Now the question was - do I leave aside all my prejudice and give beer a shot, or do I continue to hate it and then just end up having nothing but water at Oktoberfest? Keep reading to find out what happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment