Thursday, May 20, 2010

The downward spiral continues

Today was the second German class. It went even worse than the first one, if that's even possible. I had my housewarming party last night that only ended due to the Zurich tram system, so I was exhausted today. Anyway, today in the class, we were learning to say, "I speak xxx language", which translates to Meine muttersprache ist Englisch. First the instructor said he speaks German, to give us an example of how to phrase our sentence. Due to my exhaustion, I thought he said, "My employer is AlphaSprachStudio (the name of my German language school)" in German. In fact, he had said that his langague is German. How I took that and translated that to "my employer is AlphaSprach" I have no idea.

He then asked me in German to tell him what language I spoke. I ended up saying, "Mine muttersprache ist XYZ Company(which basically translated to my language is XYZ company!!). Again, everyone started laughing and I had no idea why. Thankfully, my agent A who also takes this class with me, told me that he was asking me what languagues I spoke. The embarrassment I felt was beyond comprehension. I just wanted to throw my arms up in the air and walk out. I'm sure this wouldn't have happened had I had my beauty sleep the night before. I also forgot what city I lived in. Yes, I forgot where I was. Let's just say my life has seen better days, and leave it at that.

Going back to the party - I hosted my first housewarming party last night, and it was a lot of fun! Due to my OCD issues, I started cooking two days in advance. I made three different trips to the grocery store: One to pick up all milk products, another to pick up bakery products, and a third to pick up chips and soda. I even enlisted various unsuspecting invitees into hauling all my loot back to the apartment for me. Here's what I ended up making:



(from L to R): Homemade tomato bread and peta, Veggies, crackers, yogurt and cucumber dip, pesto and sour cream dip, homemade pesto and veggie pizzas, guacomole and tacos, cheese, homemade banana bread, and pinwheels, and assorted bruscetta - all made from scratch!

Here are a couple more pictures of the food, because really, who wouldn't want to just look at food all day and sigh?





Everything, including the tomato bread, was homemade. The only items that were store bought were the pizza dough, the olive bread for the bruschetta, and the cheese, of course. And I'm not going to lie to you, fights broke out over the Banana Bread that my friend Raquel made.

Seeing as everything was made Monday and Tuesday night and neatly tucked away in labeled tupperware, I may have gone a little overboard with my OCD while planning the menu. The party came to a halt at midnight when people had to make sure they could get home before the trams stopped running at 12:30. There is a night transportation system that is in place once the trams stop running, but I don't think any of us have ever used it, so no one wanted to take the risk of missing their trams.

The fact that escape was made just in time for cleaning has not escaped my attention. In future, I'm going to implement a "failsafe" process, where music shall be stopped at 11pm, and brooms and mops will be handed out to all the attendees. Only after every spot is left sparkling and shiny shall the music commence. So to all those who made it over last night - you have been warned.

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, don't feel bad. I can do things like that in my natural language. I'll be taking german in the fall, so I'm sure I'll have many embarassing stories to share.

    On the plus side, that food looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have at least three new embarrassing stories from the last four days! The food was enjoyed by everyone, but most by me ;-)

    ReplyDelete