Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ich bin idiot

Hunger does strange things to me. I think we've established this time and again. In case we haven't, I have yet another example to make you aware of such a theory. Today was my first German class. I arrived with literally seconds to spare before the class began, and was thus forced to sit in the first seat. I had forgotten that the class was one-and-a-half hours long and thus didn't haven my first dinner before the class. As a result, two minutes into the class, I started experiencing hunger pangs, and it became harder and harder to focus.

The first thing we learned was how to say "I am..."which is Ich bin...We also learned to ask, "Are you..." which is Bist du...?We were then asked to introduce ourselves to the class, and ask one of the other students if he/she was x, y, or z (based on the placards with students' names written on them)? So, all I had to say, in German, was, "I am Jigisha, are you Carl?" This should have translated to "Ich bin Jigisha, bis du Carl?" However, due to my hunger issues, I ended up saying, "Ich bin Carl, bis du Jigisha?" , all the while not even realizing what I was saying. The entire class, including the instructor, burst out laughing, and only then did I realize that I in fact introduced myself as Carl, and asked dear Carl if he was Jigisha. I'm sure this wouldn't have happened had I eaten my first dinner.

By the time the class ended, I was almost blinded by hunger, so much so that I couldn't even find a way out of the floor on which the classroom was located! I opened every single door I could find, and each one of them either led to the Women's Bathroom, Men's bathroom, a utility closet, or a coat closet! Driven by hunger induced insanity, I asked someone to point me to the way out. She pointed me to the door that said Exit and asked me to open that to go downstairs. Apparently, hunger can also make you lose the power of sight and English word comprehension. I'm just letting you know these things, so you are never a victim of hunger that I always am. I'm now going to do my walk of shame back to my bed and am going to rewrite this evening's events in my head in a way that doesn't make me look like a bumbling idiot. Guten nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment