Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Visit to Nuremberg - Part Deux

Day two began where day one left off, with food. We had a wonderful breakfast and were all set to march on and face the day. It was raining in pretty much all of Europe, but in Nuremberg, the sun shone high and bright. For about three hours. But still, you take what you can get. Before we talk about the day, here's a brief history of Nuremberg. This was the city where the Nazi party used to hold its many conventions, mainly due to the historical significance of the city. Fittingly enough, after the end of WW2, all the officials involved in the Holocaust were tried at what are now known as Nuremberg Trials.

Now that you have a ten second crash course about the city, we can proceed. We started the day off by taking the subway to the downtown area. As Venice is a sister city of Nuremberg, there was a Venitian festival taking place in the area. There were numerous wine, sausages, and glass products from Venice being sold in the square. We walked through it and made our way to Heilig-Geist-Spital, which was an old age home in the 14th century. It is, to this day, used as an old age home. I wanted to expand my modeling portfolio for future movie roles, so I took pictures like these:



The small cafe by the river looked really good, so we took a picture of that too:



It had now been a full two hours since my last meal, so hunger was starting to kick in. We had apple juice with soda, a German specialty, at a cafe by the Square. At this time Daniel, who had been forgotten about by me, made his presence known with the loudest shrieks of all time. Apparently, kids cry when they are hungry. Who knew? I personally think it's a great strategy and am finding ways to implement it in my life as well. After he was fed, we walked toward the Pottery Market, also taking place in the square, and saw beautiful pottery and clay work like this:



Across from the market was Frauenkirch, Our Lady's Church. The clock tower at the top of the Church pays homage to Emperor Charles IV. At noon everyday, there is a production of sorts where a mini-statue of the Emperor comes out of the top of the tower, and his electors tend to him and pay their respects. Since I was busy eating at noon, we missed the show, but from what I've heard, it is supposed to be quite good:



The Pottery market took place right next to the Schöner Brunnen, which means Beautiful Fountain. According to the legend, rotating the gold ring on the fountain to a full circle is expected to bring one good luck. I was so busy being embarrassed to be the first and probably only adult who had to climb on the railing to reach the ring, that I forgot to make a wish once I actually rotated the ring!



Here's an image of the actual fountain:



And now, I began my alternate career as a nanny. We wanted to go up the Imperial Castle, with up being the operative word. Since going uphill meant pushing Daniel in his stroller up, I decided to become the nanny for the day and his stroller up the hill, looking ridiculous like this:



Once we got there, I had a strange encounter with a door whose lock was bigger than me. I saw this door as another reminder of my vertical challenges.



Another two hours had passed since my last meal, and I had worked out by pushing the stroller up the hill, so I felt like I had earned a decent meal. We went to an authentic German restaurant, ordered an authentic orange-ginger German soda, and ate asparagus and potatoes. Healthy living and high thinking has always been my motto:



Halfway through the tour, we decided to swap roles: I was now the famous Indian actress in disguise and hiding from the paparazzi, and Inga was my nanny, holding my umbrella over my head for me. We tried to get pictures of such activities, but couldn't find any volunteers to take one in the steady downpour.

Finally, we made our way back for coffee and cake, and proceeded to have the final meal of the day: Dum Aloo, that I had made in Zurich and took with me to Nuremberg. The next day, Inga took out the Penn State photo album, and I was confronted with my Ghosts of Christmas past, where I was basically two people in one body. My fatness from those days haunts me even now. Why else would I seek comfort and solace in food, when things go wrong?

I tried playing with Daniel after the trip down the memory lane, but he probably was too traumatized with my former and current fatness and found building blocks a lot more interesting. Another one bites the dust. Such is the story of my life. We ended the weekend by reminding me of just one of the many reasons why I can never play basketball, football, or any sport, really:



All in all, I had an absolutely fabulous time and will definitely be going back, even if I'm not invited. Things may still work out between Daniel and me. All is not lost. I'm hoping that distance will make the heart grow fonder. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Several observations, in no particular order.

    1) That is a very tall man. Either that, or you are much shorter than I ever realise.

    2) That is one freakin' cute little baby.

    3) Holy Mother Isis- That lock is bigger than your head.

    4) That architecture is gorgeous

    5) No lebkutchen factory. I find this sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm 5' and he is 6'5", so there's a little bit of both in that one ;)

    There will be a separate rendezvous for lebkutchen factory later in the year, and details shall be posted here!

    ReplyDelete