Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New week, new humiliations

So finally, after a decade of darkness, the sun came out this weekend! We literally had a month of nothing but rain. Every. Single. Day. My pantry is full of empty ice-cream containers that I had to finish to help cope with the depression. The waist-line has expanded exponentially. But all this is in the past, because the last four days were the most amazing that I've had all year! Friday evening I had dinner by the lake with a couple of friends, and we basked in the glory of the sun for a few hours. Saturday was dinner at my friend R's place. She made wonderful risotto and lentils and had strawberries and ice-cream for dessert. We ate on the terrace and I had a tan within 2.5 seconds of being in the sun. Topped the evening off with too much wine and attended another friend's housewarming party.

I felt fat from all the gluttony of the previous two nights, so Sunday morning, I went for a run by the lake. I had a nice long run, and on my way back, I wanted to check if the water was warm enough to swim in. So stopped by this one spot which was kind of the shore and decided to dip my hand in it. Next thing I know, I'm in the lake. Yes, I fell in the lake. No one told me that the rocks by the shore were slippery, and that when wearing sneakers, one can fall into the water! This was clearly not my fault. I'm a mere victim of lack of information here. I had to finish my run wearing wet sneakers and tracks. The rest of the day was spent reading by the lake and trying to get over the embarrassment of having fallen in the lake.

Now, May 23 may have been just another day for you, but for me, this was a monumental day. An epic day. It was the day that would usher in the end of an Era. A day when I would get my Tuesdays back. A day when I would stop being ridiculed by the non-believers. May 23, Ladies and Gentlemen, was the day that the Lost Series Finale was to air. For six years, I have devoted my Tuesdays or Wednesdays or Thursdays to this show. Numerous dates, happy hours, parties, birthdays, and alien sightings have taken a backseat to this show. Six years of commitment led to these final 2.5 hours on Sunday night.

But, there was a crisis at hand. The show was set to air at 9pm EST, which was 3AM Zurich time. Additionally, the show doesn't air here in Zurich at the same time, and even if it did, I bet it would have aired in German or even worse, Swiss-German. So I did what any normal person would do - I woke up at 2.30am and posted about my situation on a dozen or so messageboards. Luckily, one of the boards produced a link - a link that was streaming the finale. IN HD. This was God's reward to me for being a dedicated Lostie. So, I watched the finale live. In HD. from 3-5:30am. The plan was to go to bed at 5:30, but the finale was just so momentous that I had to sit for an hour and just soak it in. And you know what? I don't care what anyone else says - I loved it. It really did stay true to the Lost tradition and was ambiguous and comforting in a way that Lost has always been. I will miss my dudes and freckles and "Don't tell me what I can't do"s. My life, once full of promise and hope, has become meaningless again. I suspect I'll need therapy for years to come.

Anyway, I finally fell asleep at 7am, only to have to wake up at 9am. Why? Come back tomorrow to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment