Wednesday, May 12, 2010

End of a relationship. Or is it?

When I first came to Zurich, I fell in love with the lake, the people, the cheese. And I fell in love with the weather. 65 and sunny, almost everyday was cool and brisk. Then it started getting warmer. It went up to 80. I was able to do this and this. But then, things started to change.

At first, it was just little things. A shower here, a thunderstorm there. As with any new relationship, I chalked it up to mood swings and decided to give the weather some time and space. I even went away for the weekend, hoping that would make things better between us. Imagine my shock and horror when, not only was I welcomed back with pouring rain that Sunday evening, I even had to don my winter jacket back on! The weather knows how I feel about my winter jacket. It knows that hell hath no fury like a woman stuck in a jacket that makes her look fat. Yet, it made me wear it. Not only that, the weather didn't even have the decency to bring me some sunshine - for days on end. I coped with this devastating development the only way I could: by eating. Everything. I have lost count of the number of lunches and dinners I've had within the last two week. By now, everything has turned into one giant food eating entity. It’s hard to tell when exactly lunch ends and dinner begins.

Last Saturday, I saw rays of sunshine. I thought maybe our relationship could be mended. But tonight, things were back to the way they have been in the recent past. Now, every time I see the rain pouring, I feel like punching a cloud. But since such punching cannot occur, I take solace in food. I hope the weather is taking notice of my downward spiral, and realizes how important I am to it, and changes its behavior. It should soon realize that I’m the best thing to have happened to it. If it doesn’t, then I can’t be held responsible for what happens next. I have already stopped smiling. Are you listening, weather? Will you bring me sunshine, or give me more rain? Or will this be the end of us? The ball is now in your court. Do the right thing.

Also, Thursday is a Public holiday in Europe, and I'm taking Friday off, so will be gone for the long weekend. Where am I going, you ask? Well, you'll just have to come back next week to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment