Thursday, April 15, 2010

Paradise Found

You know how when you’re just walking around, going about your day, thinking about what you’d like for dinner, and then BOOM! You discover something monumental? Something miraculous? Something worth living for? Well, that’s what happened to me yesterday. I had to go to the Main Train Station to buy tickets for my upcoming trip to Germany. I was expecting to buy my tickets and come back to the apartment and make something quick for dinner. And then, BOOM! I discovered Paradise:



This, kids, is the classy man’s version of the Farmer’s Market. It apparently takes place every Wednesday in Spring and summer. There were tons and tons of stalls displaying and selling everything from fruits and veggies to waffles and falafals. Food was everywhere. I was out of control with excitement. And the cheese! Oh my goodness, the cheese! This country is converting me into a cheese lover.



The market basically was my dinner menu. I decided to try a bit of everything and then decide on what I wanted to have for dinner. The vendors would all speak with me in German. I didn’t even bother letting them know that I didn’t understand a word of what they said. I would just point at what I wanted to sample, and they would give it to me. It was the perfect relationship. I had everything from bruschetta to 85 different types of pesto. I even tried a slice of orange flavored cheese. And yes, it tasted as terrible as it sounds. The problem with sampling a little bit of everything is that you are full…from sampling a bit of everything. But never let a little thing like not being hungry stop you from eating more. So I settled for veggie empanadas – a Mexican dish, made by an Indian couple - in Switzerland. I guess this is what they call globalization. And because this is Europe, everything felt homey.



There was an eating area right in the middle of the market, where this grandfatherly trio played Italian music and kept the mood upbeat. I had almost forgotten that it was gloom and doom outside, with all the rain and the cold and the darkness. Almost.



I also bought this:



This is rose flavored jam – and believe me when I tell you that you have not lived until you have had a taste of this. Coming from an almost non-jam person, this means a lot. This will help you attain enlightenment. The leaves will look just a little bit greener; the sky, a little bit brighter, after you’ve had this. And then you will thank me. And I will let you.

No comments:

Post a Comment